Graduate Admissions

A person who has earned a baccalaureate degree and is working toward earning university credit hours is considered a graduate student.

The Graduate School receives and processes the applications for graduate admission and any additional supporting documentation. It also coordinates the evaluation of the application by the program or department Graduate Admissions Committee and informs the applicant of the final admission decision.

Applicants should check for other specific program admission requirements listed under the “Graduate Degrees” section of this catalog.  Admission to any graduate program is granted by program or department Graduate Admissions Committees or by an established automatic admission decision policy by the program or department Graduate Admissions Committee.  The student’s entire record will be considered including the completed application for admission, undergraduate overall GPA, upper-level GPA, GPA in the discipline, a student narrative, letters of recommendation, GRE or GMAT scores (evaluated in compliance with HB 1641), interview, and professional and/or academic experience.

Students who are not in good standing in a graduate program and/or wish to apply to a different graduate program, must submit an application for graduate admission to the new program and must be reviewed by the new program or department Graduate Admissions Committees.  Additionally, students who wish to enroll in classes after an absence of one year, or more, are required to reapply for admission to their program. 

Graduate Admission Statuses

Full admission may be granted to students who submit all required documentation and meet program requirements as determined by the Graduate Admissions Committee of the program or department.

Provisional admission may be granted to students who have not submitted all supporting documentation or test scores. The students will be allowed to enroll for up to 6 graduate semester credit hours before being required to submit all pending supporting documentation for review.  Provisional admission is not available for all degree programs and is not available for international students. Students should check with the chair of the department/division delivering the program to determine provisional admission availability.  Provisional admission does not guarantee full admission after all supporting documentation is received and reviewed.  The Graduate Admissions Committee of the program or department will render the final decision.

Probationary admission may be granted to students who have submitted all documents for admission but do not meet all requirements for full admission such as a low overall grade point average, low GRE/GMAT scores, failure to meet program or department requirements, or a lack of an appropriate background for the chosen program. Probationary admission will be changed to full admission upon completion of 12 semester credit hours with a 3.0 or better overall graduate grade point average and once the student has met any additional requirements imposed by the department.

Deferment of admission may be requested by students wishing to defer their offer of admission to a future term. They may make such requests by utilizing the Change of Entry Form available from the Graduate School.   Deferrals will only be granted for a term of up to one year from the offer of admissions and the degree that is being sought remains the same.  Students who defer their admission for more than one year will have to reapply.

The College of Arts and Sciences (COAS) reviews applicants prior to the beginning of each long semester. Criminal Justice master’s program applications are reviewed on a continuous basis. Master program applicants for the MA in Counseling Psychology must submit satisfactory GRE scores to be admitted. The Biology and Counseling Psychology programs do not offer provisional admission.

The A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business (ARSSB) Graduate Admissions Committee will make admission recommendations based upon review of the applicant's upper level grade point average, standardized test scores (e.g., GMAT/GRE/EXAMEN DE ADMISION), statement of purpose, resume, and two letters of recommendation. Students admitted with conditions must satisfactorily complete those conditions in order to remain in graduate school.

The College of Education (COED) reviews applicants for admission to its graduate programs on a continuous basis. Applicants are reviewed based on their completed application for graduate school, academic record as reflected on transcripts, letters of recommendation, interviews, and other relevant documentation. The College of Education, if looking to grant students an admission status, only grants full admission due to accreditation and state regulations.

The Canseco School of Nursing in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) reviews applicants for the FNP program in March prior to the beginning of graduate coursework in the Summer. Nursing Administration applications are reviewed on a continuous basis. All MSN program applicants must apply directly to the Graduate School.

General Admission Requirements

To be admitted to the University as a Graduate or Post-Baccalaureate Student, an applicant must submit the following documentation to the Graduate School (for additional program requirements visit the Graduate Degrees section of this catalog):

  1. Application for Graduate Admission
  2. Graduate Application Fee of $35.00. International Graduate Student Application Fee of $50.00
  3. Official College/University Transcript(s) from institutions other than Texas A&M international University must be sent directly from each institution attended. Degree(s) must be posted on transcript. The degree must be from a regionally accredited college or university.  Degrees and transcripts from institutions outside the U.S. will be evaluated for equivalency to U.S. degrees according to generally accepted practices in higher education.
  4. Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) scores are required only if pursuing certain degrees. Official test scores must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) or Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), and they must be dated within five years of enrollment.  In programs requiring test scores, no full admission decision will be processed prior to the receipt of GRE or GMAT score.
    • Graduate programs in the College of Arts and Sciences do not require that applicants take the GRE, with the exception of the MA in Counseling Psychology.
    • The A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business does not require standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, Examen de Admisión, or EXANI III) for master program applicants whose undergraduate upper level grade point average is a 3.25 or higher or who have earned an advanced U.S. degree (masters, law, doctorate) or its equivalent from another country. Students pursuing the MBA taught in Spanish and needing to submit standardized test scores may choose to take the Examen de Admisión or the EXANI III.  Doctoral applicants will be required to submit either GMAT or GRE scores. No admission decision will be made prior to the receipt of a GMAT or GRE score for doctoral applicants or master applicants needing to submit test scores. 
    • The College of Education and College of Nursing and Health Sciences do not require the GRE.
      • Applicants to individual colleges who have obtained a Master’s or Law degree from a regionally accredited institution may be exempt from the GRE.
  5. English proficiency is required of all students having academic studies from a country where English is not the native language.  A person needing to demonstrate English proficiency must submit official  Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Pearson PTE Academic scores. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 (ibt TOEFL), 550 (Paper-based), a 6.5 on the IELTS, or a 53 Pearson PTE Academic is required. These exam scores must be sent directly from the testing service and dated within two (2) years of enrollment.  Institutional TOEFL exams taken at another institution will not be accepted. (If seeking exemption from this submission refer to TOEFL EXEMPTIONS section for this information.)                                                                                                                                                                             
  • For Ph.D. in International Business Administration applicants, a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (ibt TOEFL) or 600 (paper-based) or 7.0 on the IELTS is required for consideration for admission to the doctoral program; however, an applicant who has received a graduate degree from an Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accredited U.S. institution within two years of the date of application may be exempt from this requirement.

TOEFL Exemptions

  • One year of full-time academic studies (does not include developmental or ESL courses) at an regionally accredited U. S. College or University with satisfactory grades OR
  • U. S. High School graduate who completed all high school requirements satisfactorily within 10 years of enrollment OR
  • When Spanish is the official native language of the applicant's country and the student is pursuing the Master of Business Administration taught in Spanish OR
  • Completion of level six with a grade of B or better from the International Language Institute at A&M International University, or from the Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) affiliated with any of the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) member institutions OR
  • GRE Verbal score of 145 or higher and sent directly from ETS, taken within five years of enrollment (excludes Ph.D. in International Business applicants OR
  • GMAT Verbal score of 22 or higher and sent directly from ETS, taken within five years of enrollment (excludes Ph.D. in International Business applicants).
  • Applicants from the following countries do not need to submit a TOEFL score: 
    • American Samoa
    • Australia
    • Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Canada (except Quebec)
    • Dominica
    • Grenada
    • Grand Cayman
    • Ireland
    • Jamaica
    • Liberia
    • New Zealand
    • Guyana
    • Sierra Leone
    • Trinidad/Tobago
    • United Kingdom
    • U.S. Pacific Trust

Note: International students must also submit requirements listed under ADDITIONAL INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS.


A person who is not a citizen or Permanent Resident Alien of the United States is considered an International Student.

To be admitted as an International Student, an applicant must submit all of the required documentation according to the student's classification. (Refer to the GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS section for this information). All international documents must be translated to English and submitted by the published deadline. In addition, International students must submit the Official Certificate of Graduation, indicating the degree and date of completion, which must be translated to English and sent directly from the institution to the Graduate School. Students who graduated from Mexican institutions must present an original Titulo to be photocopied at the Graduate School. The Carta de Pasante will not be accepted.

Upon completion of the application process, successful applicants will be contacted by the Office of International Engagement to be issued an I-20.  Students with an F-1 Student Visa are required to enroll full-time at Texas A&M International University. International Students are required to report any change in status immediately to the University Foreign Student Advisor located in the International Engagement department. For more information regarding student visa requirements, please contact International Engagement by phone at (956) 326-2282 or by email at

Immigration documents such as passport, I-94 and I-20 ID or DS-2019 must be carried at all times. This is in compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act, December 24, 1952, Section 264(e).

Special Non-Degree Student Admission Information 

A person who is earning university credits which are not applicable to a degree at Texas A&M International University is considered a special non-degree student. It is the policy of this institution to allow any student to enroll in any course for enrichment or other purpose, as long as the prerequisites are met or exceptions to these requirements are approved.

Individuals wishing to take courses for personal growth may register for up to twelve hours as non-degree seeking. These courses may not be applicable to a degree program.

Students classified under this category are not entitled to claim the prerogative of graduating under the provisions of the catalog in force at the time of initial enrollment. Students may, on their own initiative, request at any time to be reclassified as a regular degree-seeking student. An updated application for admission with a written request for reclassification should be submitted to the Graduate School. The student will then become responsible for satisfying the requirements of the catalog in force at the time of the request or any subsequent catalog within the established five-year period of limitation (six-years in the case of some master’s programs). For additional information call the Graduate School at (956) 326-3020.

Graduate Study for Undergraduate Student Requirements 

Students wishing to take graduate courses while they are enrolled as undergraduate students may submit an Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Course Form to the Graduate School to make this request.

A senior student in the last semester or summer session of undergraduate work may complete a normal load with graduate work as provided below:

  • Must be within 15 semester credit hours of graduation
  • Must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in upper-division work
  • Must not enroll for more than 15 semester credit hours total and must not enroll for more than 6 semester credit hours of graduate work
  • Cannot count work in graduate courses towards the bachelor’s degree. Graduate courses will be reserved for credit toward the graduate degree when fully accepted into a graduate program.
  • Must have approval from the Department/Division Chair and the Dean of the College in which the work is offered.

For additional information or to access the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Course Form, contact the Graduate School by phone at (956) 326-3020 or via e-mail at

Residency for Tuition Purposes

All students who are U. S. citizens or Permanent Resident Aliens or persons permitted by the Government of the United States to domicile under certain visas, and who have established a domicile in Texas, are eligible to pay in-state tuition if they meet all requirements as set forth in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's official publication, "Rules and Regulations-Residency Status." This publication may be obtained from the Residency Determining Officer(s) for the University at the Office of Admissions and the Graduate School. Information on these rules and regulations is also available at the THECB website at

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's official publication, "Rules and Regulations-Residency Status" delineates certain instances where certain non-resident students can be allowed pay in-state tuition.  Information on these rules and regulations is also available at the THECB website at

Reclassification for Residency for Tuition Purposes

Approval for reclassification of an enrolled student from non-resident to resident, or from resident to non-resident will be considered upon review of any proof presented to the Residency Determining Officer(s) which substantiates the need for the change. To receive approval the student must submit the proper documentation to the Office of Admissions or the Graduate School.

Other Exemptions

Other exemptions have been approved by the State Legislature in recent years. Please visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's web site at to find out about specific visas or early eligibility exemptions. For more detailed information on these exemptions or waivers call the Residency Determining Officer(s) at the Office of Admissions at (956)326-2200 or the Graduate School at (956) 326-3020.