Master of Science in School Counseling (MS)
To be considered for admission to the Master of Science in School Counseling, the applicant must fulfill the following requirements:
- Possess a valid Texas Teacher Certificate.
- Possess a minimum of two years of teaching experience.
- Possess GPA 3.0 (last 60 credit hours).
- Submit an application for graduate studies by the due dates provided by the TAMIU Graduate School. Office of Graduate Studies & Research via applytexas.org.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Official transcripts from TAMIU do not need to be submitted.
- Submit verification of minimum scaled scores on the (a) Test of English as a Foreign Language internet- Based Test (TOEFL iBT) of 79 or, if seeking certification, 24 for speaking, 22 for listening, 22 for reading, and 21 for writing or (b) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to evidence English language proficiency if your undergraduate or graduate degree was not earned at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or at an institution of higher education in a country outside of the United States as listed http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/sbecrules/tac/chapter230/19_0230_0011-1.pdf
- Complete FERPA form.
- Complete TEA Code of Ethics Agreement.
- Interview with program faculty.
- Fill out College of Education application.
- Submit Statement of Purpose: 700-word maximum.
- Submit resume.
- Submit three (3) letters of reference/nomination: 1 personal reference, 1 professional reference, and 1 nomination letter from a current professional school counselor.
- Submit proof of service record.
- Declare that you are applying for the certificate track.
|Fall||Final business day before semester begins|
|Spring/Winter||Final business day before semester begins|
|Summer||Final business day before semester begins|
|Code||Title||Semester Credit Hours|
|EDCU 5304||Professional Orientation||3|
|EDCU 5305||Personality&Counseling Theor||3|
|EDCU 5306||App Tech Child&Adoles Couns||3|
|EDCU 5307||School Counseling||3|
|EDCU 5308||Career Dev&Life Planning||3|
|EDCU 5309||Social, Cultrl, & Fam Issues||3|
|EDCU 5310||Human Growth&Develop Lifespan||3|
|EDCU 5311||Prof Cnslng Ethics & Lgl Iss||3|
|EDCU 5312||Abnormal Human Behavior||3|
|EDCU 5313||Psychopathology Using DSM||3|
|EDCU 5319||Survey of Marriage & Fam Ther||3|
|EDCU 5320||Crisis Inter in School Setting||3|
|EDCU 5321||Child&Adoles Couns Tech||3|
|EDCU 5322||Fund of Addictions Counseling||3|
|EDGR 5320||Foundatns of Ed Research||3|
|EDCU 5314||Pre-Practicum Skills&Tech||3|
|EDCU 5315||Group Counseling||3|
|EDCU 5316||School Counseling Practicum||3|
|EDCU 5317||Schl Couns Internship Part A||3|
|EDCU 5318||Clinical Counseling Internship||3|
|Total Semester Credit Hours||60|