Civic Engagement Certificate
The goal of the program is for students to become aware of their role in their community, actively participate and engage with community members, and learn how to use their academic background to instill positive social change. Through the certificate, students learn best practices in civic engagement, principles of social justice and equity, and become involved with communities through civic practice.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students in the program will:
- Develop increased awareness of community and/or social issues that are prevalent in society.
- Integrate and apply academic knowledge and skills such as effective communication, critical thinking, and leadership to engage in community and bring about positive social change within a variety of settings.
- Cultivate social responsibility and commitment to increased participation in public life as professionals, members of communities, and citizens.
Criteria for Admissions and Qualifications
- Submit an application to the Service Learning Center in ZSC 226 via email at email@example.com
- Minimum of 15 SCHs completed
- Minimum of 2.75 GPA for admission
- Be degree seeking student TAMIU
- Be in good academic standing
Criteria for Receiving the Certificate
Students must complete the following 4 courses in the program and at least 150 hours of CE related to the courses, with at least a C or better in each course:
|Code||Title||Semester Credit Hours|
|UNIV 2310||Found Civic Engage&Social Chng||3|
|UNIV 3320||Community Engmt&Agents of Chng||3|
|SOCI 4310||Social Inequality||3|
|or SOCI 4317||Race&Ethnic Relations|
|UNIV 4390||Capstone Experience (with 90 CE field hours)||3|