School Counselor Professional Certificate
To be considered for admission to the School Counselor Professional Certificate, the applicant must fulfill the following requirements:
- Possess a master's degree in a related field.
- Possess a valid Texas Teacher Certificate.
- Possess a minimum of two years of teaching experience.
- Possess GPA 3.0 (last 60 credit hours).
- Submit an application for graduate studies by the due dates provided by the Office of Graduate Studies & Research.
- Pay application fee.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Official transcripts from TAMIU do not need to be submitted.
- Submit verification of minimum scaled scores on the (a) Test of English as a Foreign Language internet- Based Test (TOEFL iBT) of 79 or, if seeking certification, 24 for speaking, 22 for listening, 22 for reading, and 21 for writing or (b) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to evidence English language proficiency if your undergraduate or graduate degree was not earned at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or at an institution of higher education in a country outside of the United States as listed http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/sbecrules/tac/chapter230/19_0230_0011-1.pdf
- Complete FERPA Form.
- Complete TEA Code of Ethics Agreement.
- Interview with program faculty.
- Submit College of Education application.
- Submit statement of purpose: 700 word maximum.
- Submit resume.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation/nomination: 1 personal reference, 1 professional reference, and 1 nomination letter from a current professional school counselor.
- Submit proof of service record.
|Fall||Final business day before semester begins|
|Spring/Winter||Final business day before semester begins|
|Summer||Final business day before semester begins|
|Code||Title||Semester Credit Hours|
|EDCU 5304||Professional Orientation||3|
|EDCU 5305||Personality&Counseling Theor||3|
|EDCU 5306||App Tech Child&Adoles Couns||3|
|EDCU 5307||School Counseling||3|
|EDCU 5308||Career Dev&Life Planning||3|
|EDCU 5309||Social, Cultrl, & Fam Issues||3|
|EDCU 5314||Pre-Practicum Skills&Tech||3|
|EDCU 5315||Group Counseling||3|
|EDGR 5320||Foundatns of Ed Research||3|
|EDCU 5310||Human Growth&Develop Lifespan||3|
|EDCU 5316||School Counseling Practicum||3|
|Total Semester Credit Hours||33|